Moving house is one of the most stressful of times. It’s also a true nuisance in terms of shifting large amounts of materials around. It does nothing for your peace of mind, and seems to aggravate other situations. The most important thing you need to know is that there are options. These range from selective self storage to virtual waste management, but they all help.
Defining the issues
When moving, the decisions seem to multiply. That’s an avoidable situation.
Start with the most practical issues:
- What absolutely must be moved with you?
- What can be stored or thrown out?
- What are the easiest ways of moving?
- What don’t you need?
- What can wait until after you move?
You now know what needs doing, it’s just a question of how you do it. This is where you can mix quality of life with your move. The other problem, well known to everyone at some point is that gnawing feeling that you’re lugging around a garbage dump. These things may be quality of life issues, and you can organize yourself to deal with both issues. For once, moving can be a positive thing.
A few more “What” questions:
- What absolutely has to be replaced anyway?
- What would you like to not to have to move?
- What would be the best way of organizing your move, not moving the garbage, and having the new stuff you want?
You see how the logic works- If you don’t want to be lumbered with unnecessary things, this is your chance to do something about it.
Organizing the move
The organization process can be quite simple:
- Dump everything you want to replace first. This creates a lot of space, and naturally makes the move easier. You can start with a fully furnished two bedroom place, and wind up with about half or less of that
- Storage: If you want to keep things but don’t want to have to move them immediately, self storage is much easier. Your removalists can get all of that out of the way before you move, again creating space and reducing the physical mass of your move and the related hernias.
- The new things: The replacements and quality of life upgrades can be scheduled to be delivered direct to the new place at your leisure, and most importantly not when you’ve just spent days tackling the move and are too tired to think about more hard work. You also don’t have to find space, because you’ve already created plenty by ditching the obstacle course before you moved.
These arrangements may cost a bit of money, but they also drastically reduce the complexity of the move. You may actually save money by not having to pay by the hour for moving things you’ve eliminated from the move. Your new place will be beautiful, and you can also take the opportunity to get your living space better organized.